Saturday 27 October 2018

The Dress


(in response to the world as it is)

A night on the town,
Me wearing a dress.
You in a suit.
Both of us looking beautiful.
Revelling in the safe and joyful harbour
Of friendship.
Or so I thought.

Later (much) I found out 
That dress,
Or my body thus covered
In it's black sleekness,
Was equated to torture.
Me, depicted as the
Manipulator.
Abusing some power
I did not wield.
Instigating some imagined
Game of chase.
Power thrust upon me,
In order to claim
A kind of victimhood.

How is it that I felt
Responsible?
My being-ness,
Playfulness,
Beauty
Mistaken for an unkindness.

How is it that a woman
Worries about such things?
Somehow culpable for the
Projections of those
Who do not know how to appreciate
Beauty
Without seeing
Sex
And power-over.
Who see an
Object;
The beautiful
As the enemy.
The tormentor,
Or quarry
To be brought down.
A light to be extinguished.

I rarely wear a dress.

Because I feel responsible.
Protecting a man
From the pain of
Desire.
As if it was my duty.


This will stop now.

Because I know there were
Two of us.
Both equally beautiful.
I would never
Look at you
And think you unkind
For wearing a suit.

May I never apologize
Quietly again;
For being beautiful,
For feeling free
To wear what I want
Without fear of reprise.
For having my own
Wellspring
Of power
Wrapped lovingly in a black dress.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! I love comments!